I have been the lucky recipient of a massive box of crab apples. sadly most of them aren’t ripe and having been picked some weeks too early, they’re quite bitter. In a shot to use them up, I even have been cookery the apples to sweeten them and use them as a sweet and delicious topping for my morning oatmeal. however merely cookery the apples would be boring, thus I further some pie spice in conjunction with sugar and water, so I stewed everything right down to produce a delicious, syrupy apple pie-inspired topping. observe deliciously!
Prep Time: five minutes
Cook Time: ten minutes
1/2 cup of cut apples
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 Tbsp pie spice (recipe below)
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup fast oats
1 cup of water
For the pie spice:
*this makes regarding 1/3 cup of spice, that I store in a very jar and sprinkle in things like oatmeal, dish batter, topping and additional.
5 Tbsp cinnamon
1 one/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cardamom
- mix ingredients for pie spice in a very jar, shaking to mix. If you’d rather not use pie spice, you’ll do an easier version, simply exploitation cinnamon.
- Place a pan on medium heat, adding one Tbsp of butter. whereas pan is heating, chop your apples into little chunks.
- Place apples in the pan, combination in with butter and cookery for regarding five minutes till they start to melt.
- Sprinkle in pie spice and sugar, combination into the apples, then pour 1/2 a cup of water into the pan.
- Cook till most of the water has reduced, turning into a sweetener like consistency.
- whereas the apple mixture is reducing, cook your oatmeal consistent with the package directions (I used 1/2 a cup of oatmeal, with one cup of water and microwaved for regarding a pair of minutes).
- Once oatmeal and apple mixture is stewed, sprinkle the apple mixture on your oatmeal and enjoy!